Car accidents are a common occurrence in New Jersey, and whether you are involved in a minor fender-bender or a major collision, the aftermath can be stressful. One of the most pressing questions that come to mind after any accident is whether or not hiring a lawyer is necessary.
While some may argue that it is unnecessary to retain a lawyer for minor car accidents, it’s a valid argument that having legal representation can make all the difference in legal protection and receiving fair compensation or not.
Judd Shaw Injury Law, for one, believes that protecting your rights should be taken seriously. Even minor accidents can lead to major financial headaches and potential health complications. So if you are unsure whether you need to hire a lawyer, contact us for a free initial consultation. Call 1-866-909-6894 or submit the online form.
What Is a Minor Car Accident?
In a minor car accident, there is usually only property damage and no personal injuries. However, even if there were no personal injuries inflicted, you may still want to hire a lawyer.
Why? Because you need the support. Insurance companies will often try to lowball you on the settlement amount for your property damage. A lawyer can fight their efforts and seek a fair settlement on your behalf.
How to Decide Whether or Not You Need a Lawyer
After a minor car accident, you may be unsure whether you need a lawyer or if your accident is considered “minor.” The best way to determine if you need a lawyer after a minor car accident is to assess the damage caused. If it includes more than a fender-bender and tiny scratches, then you should definitely consider hiring a lawyer to help you navigate your legal rights and options.
Additionally, if you are facing any medical expenses from any injuries sustained in the accident, it is wise to get legal counsel. A lawyer can help you sort out who was at fault for the accident and calculate the possible long-term costs of medical bills and property damage.
Finally, if you have any questions or concerns about any aspect of the accident, a lawyer can provide guidance on how best to proceed.
Here are some points to consider to help you determine whether a lawyer is needed:
- The severity of the damage
- The other driver’s insurance company denies your claim or offers a low settlement
- Your own insurance company is giving you trouble
- Your injuries are minor but require ongoing medical treatment
- Your injuries require you to miss work
- The was at fault and is being uncooperative
If the other driver was at fault and does not have insurance, if your insurance policy is limited, or if the insurance company is refusing to pay damages, you will also need to hire a lawyer.
Major Injuries After a Minor Car Accident
You may have sustained major injuries even if the car accident appears minor. In some cases, the full extent of your injuries may not be known for days or weeks after a car accident.
Many people make the mistake of assuming that they are fine after an accident and then later discover that they have sustained serious injuries. This can happen to anyone. At first, you may think that you only suffered a few bruises and scrapes, when in reality, you may have suffered a serious traumatic brain injury (TBI) or other less-obvious injuries.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer?
Hiring a lawyer for a minor car accident can provide several benefits. For instance, the attorney can perform the following essential tasks on your behalf:
- Evaluate your case: A lawyer can gather evidence and review the facts of your case, including police reports, medical records, and witness statements, to determine the strength of your claim and the potential compensation you may be entitled to.
- Calculate your damages: A lawyer can help you determine the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering, to ensure that you receive fair compensation.
- Negotiation skills: If you are dealing with insurance companies, a lawyer can negotiate on your behalf to ensure that you receive fair compensation. He or she can work to get you paid for your medical bills, lost wages, and vehicle damage.
- Reduce stress: Car accidents can be stressful, and dealing with insurance companies can add to that stress. Hiring a lawyer can reduce your stress by taking on the burden of the legal process, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
- Increase compensation: A lawyer can help you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages, including compensation for pain and suffering, which is often difficult to calculate without legal representation.
- Ensure timely filing of claims: There are strict deadlines for filing claims after a car accident. A lawyer, though, can ensure that all necessary paperwork is completed and filed on time, preventing you from missing out on compensation.
- Represent you in court: If a settlement cannot be reached, a lawyer can represent you in court, presenting your case to a judge and jury and advocating for your rights.
Overall, hiring a lawyer for a minor car accident can provide peace of mind and help you receive the compensation you deserve.
How to Find the Best Minor Car Accident Lawyer
Finding the best minor car accident lawyer for your needs can be a challenging task, but here are some tips that can help you:
- Look for lawyers who focus on car accident cases and have the knowledge and experience necessary to handle your case
- Search for lawyers who have experience handling cases similar to yours
- Check the law firm’s track record of success, including settlements and verdicts
- Read reviews and testimonials from past clients to get an idea of the lawyer’s reputation and level of client satisfaction
- Consider lawyers who communicate effectively, are responsive, and regularly consult with their clients
- Schedule a consultation with potential lawyers to discuss your case, ask questions, and determine if they are a good fit for your needs.
By taking the time to research and choose the right car accident lawyer for your needs, you can improve your chances of obtaining fair compensation for your losses.
Call Judd Shaw Injury Law for Help With Your Minor Car Accident Claim
At Judd Shaw Injury Law, we have years of experience handling all types of car accident claims, including minor accidents. We know how to negotiate with insurance companies and get our clients even more compensation than they might expect.
Our attorneys can accomplish this because we work hard to understand the unique intricacies of every car accident case. When you consult with us, we will listen to your story and discuss your legal options in plain terms. And if we take on your case, you can be sure our goal is to use our experience, knowledge, and resources so you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and other damages.
Don’t delay – time is limited to file your claim! Our team is ready to help you seek the settlement you deserve. To learn more about your legal rights and options, speak with our experienced personal injury attorneys. Call 1-866-909-6894 or complete the online contact form.