According to a report by the Federal Transit Administration, 73 percent of light rail and streetcar collision injuries reported between 2011 and 2017 resulted from train-auto collisions.

Some resulted in serious injury, property damage, and even death. It is important to know what to do if you find yourself in this situation.

Judd Shaw Injury Law can help after a transit accident. We understand the complex laws governing transit accidents, and we know how to build a strong case on your behalf. Our team is ready to investigate your accident, gather evidence, and speak to witnesses so we can build a strong case for you. We can negotiate with the insurance companies to get you the best possible settlement.

Contact Judd Shaw Injury Law today for a free consultation – our lawyers can review your case and let you know your legal options. Call us at 1-866-909-6894 for a free consultation or submit our online contact form.

What Should You Do After an Accident With a Transit Vehicle?

For transit drivers, navigating the roads can be a challenge. There is always a risk of an accident happening, and when it involves transit vehicles, the process of dealing with damage can become even more unclear. Is there anything you can do to protect yourself?

If you are involved in a transit accident with a transit vehicle, you should first try to calmly assess the situation. Be sure to follow these steps immediately afterward:

  • Call the police and file a report
  • Be sure to get the police officer’s name and badge number
  • Exchange insurance information with the other parties involved in the collision
  • Take photos of the damage to your car
  • Get the contact information for any witnesses
  • Contact your insurance company and let them know what happened
  • Keep all receipts and documentation related to the accident, including the police report and any medical bills

Who Is Responsible If My Car Is Damaged by a Transit Vehicle?

After your car is hit by a transit vehicle, identifying the party to hold responsible for the damage can help you get started on your claim. In most cases, the transit agency will be liable for any damages caused by one of its vehicles.

When the transit agency is operated by a government entity, you may be able to file a claim with that agency for any damages to your car. The transit authority will then investigate the incident to determine the extent they are liable for the damage.

If the agency is found to be liable, you will be reimbursed for the cost of vehicle repairs. This includes cases where the transit vehicle was improperly maintained or operated in a dangerous manner by the driver.

If neither you nor the transit agency is at fault for the accident, then you may be able to recover damages from other parties involved. This includes cases where another driver collided with your car while attempting to avoid a collision with a transit vehicle. You may also be able to sue the manufacturer of the transit vehicle.

You will need to provide information about the accident, as well as supporting documentation like photos and insurance information.

If the accident was caused by a privately-operated transit vehicle, you may need to file a claim with the company’s insurance provider. The claims process may be similar to any other auto insurance claim, but it could take longer to settle.

What Is the “Common Carrier” Law?

“Common carrier” is a legal term that refers to the responsibility of any company or person who transports goods or people for hire, and applies to public transportation systems like buses and trains.

If a transit vehicle damages your car, the transit company may be held liable under the common carrier law.

Transit Accident Claim Process and the Statute of Limitations

What will the transit accident claim process look like? How long do you have to file a claim? Here is a quick rundown of the procedure and statute of limitations for public transport injury claims:

  • If you were injured while riding a public transit vehicle, you will likely be covered by the transit agency’s insurance policy. This is true even if the accident was caused by another driver; in most cases, the transit agency will be responsible for any injuries that occur on their vehicles.
  • You will need to provide some basic information about the accident, as well as any medical documentation or bills related to your injuries. The transit agency will then investigate your claim.
  • If the transit agency denies your claim or is unable to reach a decision, you may need to file a lawsuit against them. This is typically done through small claims court, although you may need to go through regular civil court if your damages exceed the limit for small claims court in your state.
  • The statute of limitations for public transport injury claims varies from state to state, so it is important to consult with an attorney who is familiar with the laws in your area. Generally speaking, you will have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the transit agency, although this may be extended in some cases.
  • Speaking with a Judd Shaw Injury Law attorney before filing any paperwork can help ensure that you meet all deadlines and build a strong case. It is always wise to file sooner rather than later. If too much time passes before you file your claim, you may lose the right to pursue compensation.

If you have been injured in an accident with a public transit vehicle, it is important to be aware of the claims process and statute of limitations. Doing so will ensure that you have the best chance of recovering compensation for your injuries. Therefore, it is important to consult an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you determine whether you have a valid claim and assist you in filing before the deadline passes.

Who Is Liable If a Bus or Other Transit Vehicle Hits My Car?

If you are involved in an accident with a bus or other transit vehicle, the first thing you should do is call the police. Transit agencies have their own insurance providers that will be responsible for paying damages. If the transit agency is at fault, the insurance company will pay for your damages. If you are at fault, your insurance company will be responsible for paying damages.

Judd Shaw Injury Can Help After a Transit Accident

After your car is in a transit accident, you may be wondering what your next steps are. You may be feeling overwhelmed and uncertain about how to proceed with your case.

Judd Shaw Injury Law can help you to get a fair and just settlement. We have experience handling all types of transit accidents, involving anything from buses and trains to subways and light rail.

Our team can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the settlement you are owed. Don’t hesitate to contact Judd Shaw Injury Law today. We are here to help you with your transit accident case. Call 1-866-909-6894 for a free consultation or complete the contact form.