Knowing what car accident damages you qualify for will help you maximize your claim. Yet, personal injury cases can be complex, and no lawsuit is precisely like another. Often, accident victims turn to experienced law firms for advice.

The attorneys of Judd Shaw Injury Law want you to get every penny you deserve. The first step is analyzing your case to determine what damages you could be entitled to receive.

Speak with a representative at (866) 909-6894 to schedule your free personalized case review. If you decide to hire our car accident attorneys to recover your eligible damages, you can take advantage of our No Fee Guarantee®. You won’t pay anything until you get money for your claim, so don’t hesitate to contact us today.

What types of compensation am I entitled to in a car accident lawsuit?

New Jersey Damages You Could Claim

Understanding damages helps you know how and when you can receive compensation for your accident losses. In New Jersey, there are three main types of personal injury damages.

Monetary damages

Getting medical treatment for severe car accident injuries can be expensive. While you are recuperating, you might have to miss work. You might even have to hire someone to do tasks you are no longer capable of doing, like watching your children or caring for your lawn.

The money you spend on healthcare and your lost wages are examples of economic losses. A car accident claim can help you to recover this money. However, it is unlikely that the at-fault party or his or her lawyer will take your word on what damages you are owed.

A seasoned legal team knows what documentation you need and how to obtain it. Our staff will gather proof to show that everything you spent was reasonable and necessary.

Common types of evidence include:

  • Tax returns
  • Rental car invoices
  • Car repair estimates
  • Daycare or lawn care service invoices
  • Salary information from your employer
  • Prescription medicine and medical device receipts
  • Funeral or burial costs in cases of wrongful death
  • Medical bills, including co-pays and out-of-pocket expenses
  • Affidavits or statements from doctors, therapists, or other healthcare professionals

If you permanently lose your ability to work, your attorney can help you pursue compensation for your future lost income and earning capacity.

Non-monetary damages

Monetary damages are calculated by adding up your expenditures and lost income. Yet, non-monetary damages are intangible. These may involve pain from your injuries or psychological effects from your traumatic experience.

Let’s examine some of the most common non-economic losses in more detail:

  • Pain and suffering: The discomfort and pain caused by physical injuries like burns, bone fractures, and concussions
  • Emotional distress: Mental and emotional issues resulting from your severe injuries (e.g., paralysis, disfigurement, broken bones) or the psychological impact of the car crash (e.g., post-traumatic stress disorder, fear, depression, cognitive declines)
  • Loss of consortium or companionship: An adverse change in your ability to interact with your family and mate
  • Loss of life enjoyment or diminished quality of life: Lessened enjoyment or inability to participate in activities you formerly loved
  • Permanent impairments or disabilities: When scars, lost limbs, and disabilities (such as blindness, deafness, or loss of mobility) create negative emotions (e.g., shame, fear, embarrassment)

If another motorist caused a preventable accident, you can take legal action to claim non-economic damages. The amount victims receive for such damages varies, since pain, suffering, and other losses aren’t tied to a specific dollar value.

Accident victims often rely on skilled attorneys to recover these intangible losses since they can be difficult to prove. Your legal team can investigate how your injuries changed your life to determine how much compensation to pursue. You might be asked to keep a journal, or your lawyer may seek expert testimony to provide evidence for a non-monetary claim.

Punitive damages

Many car crashes are accidents. Others are the result of negligent practices like driving under the influence of alcohol or speeding. Yet, some result from malice or extreme recklessness.

A malicious driver might intentionally hurt others without a proper motive like self-defense. For instance, a motorist might get angry after being cut off in traffic. In an act of road rage, he or she might cause an accident on purpose or attack the other driver.

Extreme recklessness refers to acts that disregard the safety or lives of others. In other words, drivers know that their actions could hurt others sharing the road, but some do what they want anyway. An example is a street racer who exceeds the speed limit in a school zone, though he or she understands the possibility of striking a child.

Rather than reimburse an expense or compensate for physical and emotional pain, punitive damages penalize the wrongdoer. These penalties, also known as exemplary damages, can serve as a deterrent to anyone who might consider taking similar wrongful actions.

New Jersey law excludes cases of negligence from punitive damages, so the accident victim carries the burden of proving that the motor vehicle crash resulted from malice or extreme recklessness. At Judd Shaw Injury Law, our lawyers work hard to gather clear and convincing evidence for the rare cases that qualify for punitive damages.

Why Take Timely Action

The right to collect damages has an expiration date called the statute of limitations. When you reach the end of this time limit, you generally lose the right to sue for damages.

In New Jersey, the statute for personal injury lawsuits is 2 years for injuries and 6 years for damage to personal property. Usually, this time starts on the day you sustained injuries and losses in the car accident. If you file too late, the attorney of the person you are suing will almost certainly file a motion to dismiss, and you will receive nothing for your losses.


A few rare exceptions could allow you to extend the filing deadline. Contact our law firm immediately if one of the following conditions applies in your car accident case:

  • You were under 18 years of age at the time of the accident
  • You were incapacitated or deemed mentally unfit and unable to understand your legal rights, but you have now recovered and want to pursue justice
  • You or your attorney were unable to deliver legal documents to the person you are suing because he or she left New Jersey

After a significant injury, recovering your health should be your top priority. Delegating your battle for damages to a lawyer can bring you peace of mind, allowing you to focus on your recovery. At Judd Shaw Injury Law, we work fast and hard to address your legal concerns and maximize your compensation.

Let the Judd Shaw Way Benefit You

At our law firm, we follow a code of conduct called the Judd Shaw Way to care for you while we pursue justice for your car accident claim. Our attorneys tackle the challenges posed by insurance companies that are reluctant to pay what you are owed. We appreciate your individuality, so we treat all our clients to exceptional service and above-average effort.

You can experience our courtesy and respect when you schedule your free legal consultation and receive personalized answers about your accident claim. When you hire us, our lawyers will do everything in our power to pursue excellent results.

Our telephone and chat representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Get help now by dialing (866) 909-6894 or sending us a message using the contact form on this page. We look forward to pursuing maximum damages for your car accident case.