Suffering a catastrophic injury can be one of the scariest and most difficult times in a person’s life. Your circumstances may have changed in the blink of an eye. Determining what steps to take after a serious accident can be challenging and stressful.
You may be enduring significant physical pain and suffering while at the same time worrying about your long-term recovery and how you will continue to care financially for your family. In such an event, we realize that the prospect of filing an insurance claim or pursuing a lawsuit can be overwhelming. But an experienced personal injury lawyer can assist you in this process, giving you peace of mind so that you can focus on healing both physically and emotionally.
At Judd Shaw Injury Law, we believe that all accident victims deserve to be compensated for what they have been through. We want to help you. With decades of combined experience, we have fought for and recovered over $240 million for clients over the years.
Contact Judd Shaw Injury Law at 1-866-909-6894 or complete our online form to get a free case review. Our dedicated team of personal injury attorneys works on a contingency fee basis which means that, with our No Fee Guarantee®, you won’t pay us anything unless you get money for your claim.
Common Types of Catastrophic Injuries
A catastrophic injury is a physical injury or illness that is considered particularly serious. Such injuries need a considerable amount of medical treatment and require a lengthy recovery period. Catastrophic injuries are not always permanent or life-threatening but often have a devastating impact on a victim’s life. Also, there are injuries that can have delayed symptoms.
Injuries often categorized as catastrophic include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Amputation or loss of a limb
- Loss of vision or hearing
- Injuries causing disfigurement or severe scarring
- Severe burns
On the whole, an injury is considered to be “catastrophic” when it results in a long-term or permanent disability that significantly disrupts the victim’s life. This includes the need for prolonged and intensive medical care and the ability to make a living.
What to Do After Suffering a Catastrophic Injury
Catastrophic injuries can be absolutely traumatizing. The initial steps you take after a serious accident can greatly impact both your physical recovery and the results of your injury claim.
The following steps will help you immediately following an injury:
- Do what you can to ensure your safety. If your location is not safe following the accident, try to remain calm and move to a safer place if possible. This is particularly important if danger continues to be present after you hurt yourself, such as in a busy intersection or construction site.
- Call emergency personnel. After ensuring your safety, it is wise to call the police. They will be able to quickly assess the situation and get you the help you need. Additionally, police reports can be invaluable in establishing the facts of the accident and supporting your personal injury claim going forward.
- Seek medical attention. A serious injury can be a life-threatening event. Immediately following an accident, you may not think that you are significantly hurt. However, it is always best to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Some major injuries show few immediate symptoms. Often, the sooner an injury is treated, the better the likelihood of a successful recovery. Furthermore, a medical exam will serve as documentation of the accident and evidence of the resulting health conditions for when you pursue compensation.
- Determine the cause of your injuries. Proving how you were hurt is critical to successfully pursuing your claim. Your injury may be work-related, the result of a car accident, or even due to medical malpractice. Whatever the root cause, it is in your best interest to identify and document all contributing factors.
- Take pictures. If at all possible, take pictures at the scene of the accident. Photograph the location and any conditions present that might have caused it, in whole or in part. In addition, take pictures of your injuries, both initially and as treatment progresses. Such photographs can serve as powerful evidence if the need for litigation arises.
- Get witness contact information. You should collect the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident, including anyone who may not have seen it happen but can verify the conditions of where the incident took place. Eyewitness testimony can be extremely valuable when you choose to pursue a claim.
- Collect insurance documents. It is essential to collect the relevant insurance documents in the initial days after sustaining a catastrophic injury. You may have private disability insurance or extended health care benefits through your employer. Hospitals often work to discharge patients quickly, but having the proper insurance benefits in place will help you to get the best possible care.
- Contact a catastrophic injury attorney. A skilled attorney can advocate for you during this difficult time by gathering evidence, guiding you through the claims process, and negotiating with all relevant parties. All this ensures that you get fair compensation for your pain and suffering.
Taking such steps may aid your recovery and lay a strong foundation for a successful personal injury lawsuit.
Potential Compensation in a Catastrophic Injury Case
Over 55 million people are injured annually in the United States, many of whom need to seek emergency medical attention. When such injuries are considered catastrophic, the victim may qualify for considerable restitution.
You may be entitled to compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial tolls associated with the incident.
You may be able to recover such damages as:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Past, present, and future lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Emotional distress, anxiety, or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Reduced quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Working with supportive and empathetic catastrophic injury lawyers could present the most favorable chance to collect just and fair damages for your injuries.
Contact Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Who Care
A catastrophic injury can leave a person feeling knocked down and unsure if they can ever get back up. The personal injury attorneys of Judd Shaw Injury Law are here to help you recover your quality of life. We have dedicated our careers to helping injury and accident victims in New Jersey attain the compensation they deserve.
Our legal team is determined to achieve the best possible results for every injury victim we help. That’s why we introduced “The Judd Shaw Way” – a 5-point promise that helps ensure every client receives the highest level of service available. Guided by this set of core values, we are proud to fight for the rights of each and every one of our clients.
If you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury, please reach out to us as soon as possible. The sooner we can get to work on your case, the sooner we can put our resources to work on your behalf.
Call Judd Shaw Injury Law at 1-866-909-6894 or complete our simple online contact form to schedule your risk-free case evaluation today. Our representatives are standing by to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We want to help.