Every year, thousands of people are seriously injured in trip-and-fall accidents. Unfortunately, these accidents can result in long-term medical care or even permanent disability. Along with painful physical injuries, you may be facing the many financial anxieties that come with them. Your injuries can have a lasting impact on your income, ability to work, and quality of life.
At Judd Shaw Injury Law, our personal injury attorneys can help you seek the money you need to recover. There is no obligation when you discuss your claim with us. We offer a No Fee Guarantee®, which means you won’t owe us anything unless you win a settlement. We are available 24/7 to help you. Call us today at 1-866-909-6894 or fill out our online contact form.
How Do Trip-and-Fall Accidents Happen?
According to the National Safety Council regarding fall accidents, 805 workers died while 211,640 were hurt seriously enough to miss work in falls in 2020. Such accidents are especially fatal for elderly victims.
There are many ways that trip-and-fall accidents can happen. Several causes of trip-and-fall accidents include:
- Uneven or broken pavement
- Wet or slippery floors
- Loose carpeting or rugs
- Toys or clothing
- Cluttered floors
- Poorly lit areas
No matter how the accident happened, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, pain, and suffering. Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your legal options. Our team at Judd Shaw Injury Law can help you understand your legal rights and options.
What Injuries Can Occur From a Trip-and-Fall Accident?
Trip-and-fall accidents can result in a variety of injuries. These can be minor cuts and bruises, or more serious injuries like spinal cord damage and head trauma. In some cases, slip-and-fall accidents can even be fatal.
Some of the most common injuries associated with trip-and-fall accidents include:
- Head injuries: Head injuries are some of the most severe injuries that can result from any slip-and-fall accident. These injuries include concussions, brain injuries, skull fractures, headaches, dizziness, and nausea.
- Neck injuries: Neck injuries can result in serious complications. These injuries vary from whiplash to more serious cervical spine injuries.
- Back injuries: Back injuries can range from strains and sprains to more serious spinal cord damage. If you land on your back awkwardly, you could strain or even rupture a disc in your spine.
- Shoulder injuries: Shoulder injuries are also common in slip-and-fall accidents. These types of injuries can include dislocated shoulders to rotator cuff tears.
After suffering a trip-and-fall accident, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if your injuries seem minor, they could still be serious. Some injuries do not become obvious until weeks after an incident. Once a doctor has seen you, you should contact Judd Shaw Injury Law to discuss your legal options.
Who Is Liable for a Trip-and-Fall Accident?
A trip-and-fall accident can occur anywhere at any time. Who should be held responsible for your injuries? The answer to this question depends on the circumstances of your accident.
Multiple parties may be liable for a trip-and-fall incident in some cases. For example:
- Managers: Managers or the business they represent can be at fault if they knew or should have known about the hazard that caused you to trip and fall. For example, if there was an item left in a grocery store aisle and the employees failed to remove it within a reasonable amount of time, the store could be held liable for your resulting injuries.
- Private property owners: Property owners may be at fault if they failed to maintain the property or close off the area around a hazard to ensure safety.
- Entities and organizations: If an accident happens at a public facility, like a recreation center, the organization responsible for its maintenance could be held liable.
What Damages Can You Recover In a Trip and Fall Case?
Here are several types of damages you may be able to recover, depending on the severity of your injuries and the circumstances of your accident:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
In a certain case, you may also be able to recover punitive damages. These damages are designed to punish the party responsible for your accident to deter similar accidents in the future.
The amount of money you can recover from a trip and fall lawsuit may depend on the specific facts of your case. To learn more about what kinds of damages you may be entitled to, contact Judd Shaw Injury Law today. We can review your case and inform you of your legal options.
Should You Hire a Lawyer for a Trip and Fall Injury Case?
After an accident, you will likely need to hire a lawyer to help you recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. Even if your injuries are not severe, you may still need to hire a lawyer if the at-fault party or the insurance company does not cooperate.
The laws governing trip-and-fall accidents vary from state to state. In some areas, property owners are strictly liable for any injuries that occur on their properties. In other states, property owners are only liable if they were aware of the hazard that caused your accident and did nothing to remedy it.
Because of these variations in state law, consulting with a lawyer who is familiar with the laws in your state can greatly help your case. Your legal team can advise you of your rights and help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Judd Shaw Injury Law Can Help After a Trip-and-Fall Accident
After a trip-and-fall accident, you may be entitled to money for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We can help you get the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys have years of experience helping people who have been hurt in trip-and-fall accidents.
A trip and fall injury case can be challenging to win because you must clearly prove that the property owner was negligent in some way in order to recover damages. Our lawyers can help you gather evidence to support your claim.
You or your lawyer can get started on gathering evidence by:
- Taking photographs of the scene of the accident
- Interviewing witnesses
- Obtaining a copy of the police report
- Reviewing security camera footage
Judd Shaw Injury Law can help you track important deadlines and prepare the necessary documentation. We can also negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf.
Let us fight for your rights and the best possible outcome for your case. When we take on your case, we will work tirelessly to get the financial settlement you are entitled to receive.
We are available 24/7 to assist you, so call us to schedule a free consultation. Call 1-866-909-6894 or complete our online contact form.