If you’ve been in a truck accident, you know how stressful and devastating the aftermath can be. You may be dealing with serious injuries, mounting medical bills, and the anxiety of being unable to work. The last thing you want to worry about is whether or not you’re going to get a fair settlement for your pain.
The average settlement for a commercial truck accident varies. In general, if the extent of the loss and damages caused by the accident is significant, the settlement may be higher. However, even minor truck accidents can result in greater payouts if the victim suffers serious injuries.
Our team of personal injury attorneys at Judd Shaw Injury Law have the experience necessary to help you seek financial compensation for your pain and suffering. To discuss your legal options and explore possible settlement outcomes for your case, contact us to schedule a free consultation. Reach us at 1-866-909-6894, or complete the online contact form.
What Influences the Payout for a Truck Accident?
Since every accident is different and the circumstances surrounding each incident are unique, there is no set amount that can be expected for a settlement. To get an idea of how much your truck accident claim may be worth, a lawyer will review your case and help you understand what damages you may be able to recover.
The average payout for a truck accident will depend on various factors, including:
- The severity of the accident and injuries
- The amount of property damage caused
- The state in which the accident occurred
- The insurance coverage of the trucking company
- Whether or not the truck driver was at fault for the accident
Determining the Amount of a Truck Accident Settlement
When it comes to trying to determine how much your claim may be worth, there is no guarantee that you will receive a larger settlement. However, there are steps that can improve your chances of getting a fair amount.
Your legal counsel will consider the following when deciding your claim’s worth:
- Medical bills and long-term treatment: This includes things like ambulance fees, hospitalization costs, surgical procedures, and any rehabilitation or therapy that may be necessary.
- Lost wages and loss of work: One method of determining this can be calculating your average weekly wage and multiplying it by the number of weeks you were unable to work due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering damages: This is where things can get a bit tricky, as there’s no set formula for determining an exact amount for pain and suffering damages. An attorney who is familiar with these types of cases can help you to calculate the amount of pain and suffering damages you may be entitled to receive.
What Are the Causes of Truck Accidents?
According to the CDC, trucking accidents are becoming more frequent. An estimated 1 in 3 long-haul drivers were involved in an accident. Meanwhile, there are many potential causes of truck accidents, ranging from driver error to mechanical problems.
Some of the most common causes of these accidents are:
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers are often required to drive for long periods of time, which can lead to boredom and distraction. This can result in them not paying attention to the road and making mistakes that can lead to an accident. This can also occur when a driver is using a cell phone or GPS device while behind the wheel.
- Fatigue: Fatigue is another common problem among some truck drivers, due to working long hours. Additionally, this sometimes happens if the driver has taken medication that causes drowsiness. This can make it difficult for him or her to stay awake and pay attention to the road.
- Impaired driving: Driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol is never a good idea, and it’s especially dangerous when behind the wheel of a large truck. The size and weight of these vehicles means that a truck accident can be particularly severe when impairment is a factor.
- Recklessness or Speeding: Speed is always a factor in accidents, but it’s especially dangerous when combined with the size and weight of a truck. Speeding makes it more difficult for a driver to control the vehicle and leaves less time to react if something goes wrong.
- Weather conditions: Bad weather can make it difficult for any driver to see and navigate the road safely, but trucks are particularly vulnerable in these conditions due to size and weight.
What to Do Immediately After a Truck Accident
If you’ve been in a commercial truck accident, here are a few key things you should do right away to ensure you get the settlement you deserve:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you don’t think you’re seriously injured. This will also rule out any injuries that may have gone undetected in the immediate aftermath of the accident. It also creates a record of your injuries that can be used as evidence in your case.
- Collect as much evidence from the accident scene as possible. This includes things like the police report, photos of the damage to your vehicle and the semi-truck, witness contact information, and your own account of what happened. The more evidence you have to support your claim, the better chance you have of securing a fair settlement.
- Make sure to contact an experienced truck accident attorney. A lawyer who is familiar with trucking laws can help guide you through the complex process. With help, you may maximize your chances of getting a fair settlement and ensuring that justice is served.
- Be prepared to negotiate with the insurance company. Remember, insurance companies are not on your side and will likely try to lowball you. With the help of a seasoned lawyer who knows how insurance companies operate, you stand a much better chance of getting the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Judd Shaw Injury Law Can Help You Get a Fair Settlement
No two truck accidents are alike, and therefore no two settlements will be either. If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, it is important to seek the counsel of an experienced attorney who can help you recover the compensation you deserve. Your lawyer will know how to build you a strong case and negotiate with the insurance company to get you the best possible settlement.
The Judd Shaw Injury Law team is made up of dedicated professionals who are passionate about what we do, and our personal injury attorneys will work tirelessly to protect your rights. Of course, money cannot erase your pain or the terror you may have felt. But we seek justice on your behalf so you can have closure, financial stability, and peace of mind.
Do not wait to protect your rights. We are available 24/7 to assist you in exploring your legal options. To schedule a free consultation, call us at 1-866-909-6894 or complete the online contact form to get started.