It has been discovered that the second most leading cause of unintentional related death is falls. In 2019 alone, 39,433 people died in falls at home or at their workplace. Depending on the industry, for working adults, falls can be the leading cause of death. It is important to take precautions especially in the workplace when it comes to preventing slips, trips and falls. Here are some safety tips that can help make your work environment safer to avoid potential injuries and fatalities.
Address Safety Regulations During Training
When a new employee is hired, make sure to go over all of the necessary safety tips.
- Review ways that your employees can protect themselves from slip, trip and fall hazards.
- Make sure employees are fully trained on how to use equipment.
- Scan the work area before starting the job to make sure there are no hazardous areas.
- Keep the work area clear of hazards and clean up any spills or messes right away.
- Wear the proper clothing.
- Wear slip resistant shoes.
- Use the correct tools for the job to avoid injuries.
- If working outside, make sure to check the weather. Working during inclement weather can increase the chance of injuries.
Safety In Your Own Home
Although most injuries do occur in the workplace, there are still hazards in your own home that can be prevented from causing slips, trips and falls. Here are safety tips that can help prevent injuries in your own home as well.
- Keep floors and surface areas free of clutter.
- Install handrails on any stairways or steps.
- Never stand on tables, chairs, or surfaces with wheels.
- Arrange furniture with open pathways to allow easy accessibility.
- Maintain good lighting both indoors and outdoors.
- Keep drawers closed.
- Keep any wires or phone cords out of traffic areas.
A fall can end in a disability or even death. By taking the time to take a few simple precautions, you’ll be sure to stay safe both at home and in the workplace.
Content edited by personal injury attorney Judd Shaw. From the beginning, Judd established a set of Core Values laying out the pursuit for excellence in client service. He is a regular host of the Working The Wow podcast, with the belief that providing an exceptional client experience is just as important as delivering a quality service or product. You can find us in Red Bank and Tom‘s River, New Jersey.